Sunday, September 7, 2008

Week 44 Wrapup

This week, I only ran 3 easy runs for a total of 10 miles for the week. I'm still trying to take it easy for recovery. Next week, I'll start something a little more intensive.

The month of August was pretty much a wash for me weight-loss-wise. August was spent tapering for the marathon (and burning less calories). During the taper, I was eating a lot more just because I was way more hungry. Also, whenever I'm traveling I tend to eat more, so the marathon trip itself put in a few extra calories. So, on the last day of August, my moving average of my weight was only down a tenth of a pound from where it was on the first day of August.

To make up for that (and to preemptively make up for my upcoming Vegas trip), I made a concerted effort this week to eat a lot less (today's binge notwithstanding). The upside is that my weigh-in today is a full 4 pounds lower than it was last Sunday (which was already about 3 1/2 pounds down from the week before that). The moving average is a little slower to change (by design), but it was still down 2.1 pounds this week, which is almost the largest single week drop in the moving average so far.

Twice this week I picked up my Forerunner only to find it dead. The first time I thought I must have left it on and had the battery run out. But, I charged it fully, put it away, then picked it up two days later only to find it dead again. It's theoretically possible that I left it on again, and it's also more than a little likely that some little kid found it and turned it on. But, my big fear is that the battery's shot and the watch will need replacement. On the one hand, I'd like an excuse to upgrade to the new 405, but on the other hand I've bought so much crap lately that there's no possible way to justify the expense of buying a new one.

I decided that I've lost enough weight/exercised enough that I should be able to see if I've made a difference in the high ALT/high triglycerides/high cholesterol/low testosterone that kind of got me started on this kick in the first place. I initially planned to remeasure everything after the first eight weeks, but kind of didn't get around to it. Plus, I wanted to only measure after a significant change, and I'm only now at the point where I feel like the change is significant and provable. Yeah, saying "I've been trying to run for the last few weeks" may be a good improvement for some, but saying "I got up off my butt and ran enough in the last ten months to finish a marathon in under 5 hours, losing 35 pounds in the process" seems way more serious. I've made an appointment to see the doctor next week to update all the labs, and I won't have the results for maybe a week or two after that, but it should be interesting to see how all that turns out.

2 comments:

Supercords said...

Make sure to post your lab results, with the old ones as comparison. I'm curious.

Aaron said...

Yeah, I'll have full before and after posted here. Stay tuned.