Sunday, August 31, 2008

Week 43 Wrapup

I didn't run at all this week, as I want to give my legs some good recovery time after the marathon. They were only really sore for a couple of days, and all soreness was pretty much gone by Tuesday. I'll run a few easy runs next week, and then possibly start a more structured program the following week.

My dad goes to a spin class at his gym 5 days a week. With nothing else but spin class and a slight decrease in food intake, he's lost around 20 pounds in 2 months. Kudos to him. He'd been bugging me to go try it with him, and since I wasn't doing any running this week, I went with him on Thursday.

I figured I was in pretty good shape, so I should be able to at least keep up with him and the rest of the class. I figured quite wrongly. After 5 minutes of pedaling, my legs were burning and I wanted to get off. I kept pedalling for the rest of the session, but after about 10 minutes, I didn't even attempt to keep the same cadence or stand up at the same times or anything.

I tried to explain to people, "No, you see, I just ran a marathon and my legs are still recovering." It's possible there was even a grain of truth in that. However, the real truth is that distance running ability just doesn't translate to cycling ability. Different muscles and whatnot.

The worst part of the spin class is that my butt was so sore afterward. In fact, my butt was sore after the spin class for longer than my legs were sore after the marathon. That's wrong.

I went and got new shoes on Friday. I had put over 600 miles total on the two pair I have, so they're getting close to needing replacement. Also, they were never quite the right shoes anyway, since it turns out I need something more in the way of stability.

I got the Mizuno Wave Alchemy 8. I tried on another Mizuno pair, and a couple from Saucony, Asics, and Brooks, but I liked these ones better. They were the most comfortable of any I tried. All the others were too narrow in the toe, or too tight in the heel, or seemed like they had a spot that would rub, etc. Plus, I like softball, so buying Mizuno again makes me feel like a softball player.

I haven't run in the new shoes yet. I'll probably do my next few runs in the old shoes to try to squeeze a few more miles out of them, then start with these when I start getting into long runs or fast runs again.

2 comments:

Scott said...

In the height of my fitness back in 2001, I performed a V02 max test for an exercise science major at the Y. It was on a bike and I had major trouble from the get-go. I always felt like the measurement wasn't accurate because I was so unfamiliar with riding for exercise.

Supercords said...

You should stick with that bike class. It will totally improve your endurance in running.

Good call on the shoes too.