Sunday, August 3, 2008

Week 39 Wrapup

The long run this week was supposed to be 20 miles. I stocked up on a wide variety of gels, clif energy chews, and even Jelly Belly Sports Beans™. I also stashed two frozen gatorades on the trail.

I hit the trail at 4:00 AM, and the first 15 miles went great. I felt like I had plenty of energy. By mile 16, though, I was really, really hot. After about 16 1/2 miles, I just held my head under a drinking fountain for about 5 minutes and didn't feel any better, so I just sat in the shade for a few minutes. I got up and ran to where I had the second gatorade, but didn't feel any better after that, so I just walked back to the car.

It was a really painful walk back, too. I was wearing my older pair of shoes, and I think I need to retire them soon, and definitely keep them on the shorter runs in the meantime.

The unofficial reading I got later in the day was a high of 113, so I don't think I'm being too much of a baby or anything. I saw lots of other runners on the trail that were running way faster who are probably able to manage it just because they're better trained, thinner, and not stupid enough to run such long distances. Either way, I was envious of the fact that they weren't as visibly struggling.

I'm debating whether or not to take steps to try to lose more weight (like actually diet). My new theory is that if I were to lose another 20 pounds or so, I'd be much better at running. This is based on the assumption that carrying less bulk around makes me run better, but also on the as yet unproven assumption that all the extra fat I'm carrying is actually insulating me and making my body hotter than it would be otherwise. If I can find something to back up this assumption, than I might actually try eating less (gasp!).

Either way, the one thing that I'm very clear about is that I will in no way be ready for a marathon in three weeks.

1 comment:

Supercords said...

Aaron,

First off, I guarantee you will do much better on your first marathon than I did on mine. The furthest I'd ever run before my first 26.2 was 13 miles. Needless to say, I was in for a world of pain those last 6 miles.

But don't worry, even if you do crash and burn, Scott and I will be there to witness the whole thing. I'll have my camera too, in case you pass out and forget the whole thing.

As for the weight... my advice, for what it's worth, is NOT to diet or eat less. BUT, I think you should incorporate some healthier foods into your meals. I don't see this as dieting. It's simply expanding your horizons.

Let's face it. You eat a lot of crap. If you merely replace some of that crap, not all, just some, with some fruits and vegies, I think it will make a huge difference. And no more movie popcorn. That stuff will kill you faster than anything else.

See you in 2 weeks.

Shane