Sunday, August 10, 2008

Week 40 Wrapup

Starting the taper now. I had made a miscalculation in scheduling, and ended up having to do my speedwork right after a big dinner on Wednesday. By the third interval, I really felt like I might puke, so I cut it short by one interval so as to avoid that.

The big news is this: A few hundred feet from the end of my long run (12 miles), I looked down and saw a red streak on my shirt. Initially I had thought I must have brushed up against something and got a streak of dirt on my shirt. After a second, I realized that I had got my first bloody nipple. I was surprised, because I was wearing exactly the same thing as last week's 20 miler, in nearly the same conditions. I've felt a little chafed on every long run for the last few weeks, but didn't think it had progressed to this point.

Either way, I was really proud. If I keep this up, I could be mistaken for a real runner. I've now shaved my nipples preparatory to band-aids or NipGuards™.

No comments: