Sunday, December 7, 2008

Year 2, Week 5 Wrapup

32 total miles this week. I'm topping out at a little bit higher weekly mileage than the last marathon training, but not by too much. Next week will be the peak, at around 33-34, then tapering after that.

My long run this week was not particularly difficult running-wise. I was sore and tired by the end, but never struggling or anything. What would have been an otherwise great run was marred by a few miserable annoyances.

For starters, I forgot my hat, and didn't realize it until I was about a mile into the run. If I had been running from home, I would have just gone back. But, I had driven out to the Rillito river trail, and it would have taken at least 45 minutes round trip to drive home and get it. The hat serves the dual function of sun shade and sweat band, and I needed both of those things.

I planned to wake up at 7 to run, but had a really hard time falling asleep the night before. So, when it came time to wake up, I thoughtfully reconsidered, then went back to sleep until 10. By the time I got to the trail, it was 11, leaving me to do my run in the middle of the day's heat. So, while it wasn't nearly as bad as the summer runs, it was mid 70s by the time I was done, so I was definitely doing a lot of sweating. With no hat, it was running down into my eyes, then drying on my face into a stinging salt crust. I was having to waste valuable time stopping at drinking fountains just to rinse my face off. That'll teach me. It is likely that I won't forget my hat ever again.

I've never been able to use ear buds when I run, because my ear canals are too big or something. The ear buds just bounce around and then fall right out. So, I usually run with a dopey pair of over the ear headphones, like it's 1985 or something. I had been intending to buy a pair of running earbuds with ear clips, but hadn't gotten around to it. Then, I got lucky enough to get a bag of crap in the last Wootoff. Amongst other goodies like a busted camera, a bluetooth headset, and a Zune were a pair of cheap Chinese earbuds that were larger than normal. I thought these might fit better, so I wore them on all my night runs this week, and they did indeed stay in my ears. Turns out that running at night in the cold is different than running in the day in the heat. Apparently my ears are bigger in the day, or the extra sweat makes the difference. Either way, the stupid things kept falling out of my ears, and I had to readjust them several times each mile.

I had stashed two frozen gatorades on the way, and the first one was still slushy when I got to it. I didn't get to the other one for about 2 1/2 hours, though, and it was lukewarm by the time I found it. Kind of nasty.

2 comments:

Supercords said...

Any decent set of ear buds will come with a plethora of bud sleeves, which fit a wide variety of ear canals, even those of elephant-man proportions.

Scott said...

You got a BOC? That's amazing. The closest I ever came was I made it past the "I Want One" screen, but by the time I selected how many I wanted, it was too late. That's a pretty nice haul, too.