Sunday, April 5, 2009

Year 2, Week 22 Wrapup

This week was still really hard to get motivated to go running. I'm still totally not in the groove that I was in before, and it's still hard to imagine doing as much mileage as I used to. I'm especially discouraged when I think about the summer, and trying to do the long runs in the heat.

I didn't have much problem with that last year, but I think I was just too stupid to know better. I was such a new runner that I had to blindly follow my schedule, and that kept me going now matter how terrible the weather. Now, I feel like I know a little bit more, and I find myself rationalizing a bit more, telling myself it's okay to miss a little bit here and a little bit there, because I'm such a good runner that I'll be able to rely on the training base I already have. This somehow is ignoring the speed at which a good training base disappears.

I'm worrying a little about St. George, though. I thought it would be easier to train for than Park City, because St. George is later in the year. But, now that I look at it, I see September would be mostly taper, and the real big runs would be in July and August. That compares to June and July for Park City. Yeah, it's kind of strange arguing the benefits of 100 degree high in June versus a 109 degree high in July, but every little bit counts. Also to be factored in is the monsoon season, from early July to mid-August. St. George training would have me doing long runs through the entire thing, when Park City had me tapering by the time it got really bad.

I ran 7 miles on Tuesday, and again on Thursday. Then, I was planning on running 16 miles on Saturday, but I woke up late and didn't feel all that great. I was watching conference all day, and it felt like a Sunday anyway, so I briefly toyed with the idea of calling that my Sabbath and doing the run on Sunday. But, I woke up late on Sunday as well, so I was saved from my potential Sabbath-breaking. So, now, either one of two things will happen. Option 1: I'll wake up early and do my 16 miles on Monday or Tuesday. Or, Option 2: I will not run 16 miles. Anyone laying odds on what will happen?

3 comments:

Scott said...

I think we should both sign up for both Park City and St. George, running Park City as a mid-effort test run and then tapering from there into St. George. It's a fairly long taper but isn't so close that soreness or anything will be a problem. Plus I'd like to run Park City again to get better than 4:55.

Aaron said...

Let's see... I'm concerned about the effort of marathon training in the summer, so you suggest running two marathons instead. Yeah, makes sense.

Scott said...

Yes. Let us run both.