Sunday, June 8, 2008

Week 31 Wrapup

The cruise was everything I hoped it would be, and I ate just as much as I feared. I think months of eating slightly less has conditioned my body to accept less food being shoved in before getting sick. There were a couple of times on the cruise that I thought that I would either puke or explode, and I know if it had been a couple of years prior I would have had a lot more to go before reaching that point. So, either my body's less tolerant because I'm more healthy, or I'm just getting old or something.

I didn't get to exercise on the ship as much as I would have liked due to a variety of factors: Sick baby, bad weather occasionally limiting the ability to go outside, way too much food, etc.. I ran 5 miles on the ship's jogging track on the first sea day, and I ran 5k on the treadmill a few days later. Other than that, I did a ton of walking, and the ice skating and snorkeling were both pretty good workouts, just in different ways.

The treadmill on the ship was in metric, which confused me for a while because I thought the belt was just spinning way too slow for the speed displayed on the screen. There may have been some secret key command to switch it to American, but I never found it. I did some quick math in my head to figure out the metric equivalent of my training pace, and a calculator later confirmed that I had nailed it, which means I still get to count myself among the people who can do math in their head. I only ran 5k on the treadmill, because although the ship was still in port when I started, it had started moving at a pretty good clip soon after, and was rocking pretty good. Running on a treadmill is hard enough without the treadmill moving sideways under you. I had never run that long on the treadmill before anyway, and when I got off I had the distinct feeling that the ground was still "milling" under me. Couple that with the fact that the ground actually was moving because of the ship's movement, and you get a clear picture of what I would surely look like if I tried walking through a ship whilst heavily intoxicated.

Sunday ended the cruise. Since I won't get to run while at Disney World, I did my two mile easy run this week tonight on the treadmill at the hotel. It was thankfully more stable than the ship.

No comments: